Thursday, July 10, 2008

Super Dad

This is a story I just couldn't wait until tomorrow to share...

So today I get a call at work from Trey, retelling a conversation he just had with Madelyn on the phone. It went something like this...

Trey (laughing): You'll never believe what "your" daughter just did.
Sarah: Oh no - what?!
Trey: She called me to tell me that the shirt she was supposed to take to camp to decorate today got left.
Sarah: No it didn't - I put it in her bag.
(Narration: On Monday, we got a notice that on Tuesday, Madelyn needed to bring a plain white t-shirt that could be decorated with her name / team name, etc. for this Friday's Olympic games against the other Plano camp).
Trey: Well, after a few minutes, I finally understood her that it got left at the other camp when they were told to bring it with them.
(Narration: On Tuesdays and Thursdays their camp goes to the other Plano location for swimming, and the counselors told the campers to bring their shirts with them - they were going to decorate them there.)
Trey: Apparently she doesn't understand English when the counselors told them to bring it with them and she thought she was supposed to leave it. So she didn't have it to decorate when all the other kids did at the other location.
Sarah: Oh no! (I'm thinking... "I'm so glad I rushed out to Walmart to get a plain white t-shirt that HAD to go to camp to be decorated the next day, for it not to get decorated the next day, or the next day, and then get forgotten on the day it was needed!" I'm also thinking... "Oh no - she can't be the only one not in her team shirt - that won't fly!!")
Trey: So Madelyn says... Daddy - I need you to decorate my shirt for me tonight. I need it to say "MSG" on the front, and the #12 on the front and the #12 on the back, and I need it for tomorrow. So, I told her that I'm not sure if I can or if we have the right things to do it, but I'll try.
(Narration: Well, you all know Madelyn - stubborn, relentless Madelyn. Who says... But Daddy, I really need you to. So, Trey tries to explain that he'll try, but he can't promise he'll be able to do it because he doesn't want to disappoint her if he can't do it, to which Madelyn says... But if you don't do it, I'll be disappointed. Like father, like daughter!).
Trey: So, do we have a permanent marker or something at home that will work?
Sarah: Yeah - you can just use a sharpie, or I can do it when we get home from the play.
Trey: Will that work?
Sarah: Well, you could go to Walmart and get some fabric markers in a few colors.
Trey: I don't want to go to Walmart - will anyone else have it?
Sarah: Michaels or Hobby Lobby - and then you can ask someone for the right thing - just tell them what you are doing.
Trey: I don't know where Michael's or Hobby Lobby are.
Sarah: Yes, you do. Michaels is in the same shopping center with Old Navy and Bed Bath and Beyond. At 15th and Alma - you can stop on your way home from work. And if you want - just get the markers and leave it for me and I'll do it when I get home so it's in pretty handwriting.
Trey: Gee - thanks. Is my handwriting that bad?

So, some time passes, and Trey calls me back...

Trey: I was telling the girls in my office about Madelyn's shirt dilemma, and they had a good idea... I can get those iron on letters and numbers and then not have to write it.
Sarah: Yeah - that's a great idea.
Trey: Do we have an iron?
Sarah: Yes!
Trey: Where is it?
Sarah: On the cart in the laundry room, with the detergent.

So, now it's 11:30, and Madelyn and I just got home a little bit ago from seeing High School Musical (which was great by the way!). You all have got to see this t-shirt! It has MSG in red varsity fabric letters, #12 in bold black professional looking #s. A huge sequin heart, sequin lips, and a beaded flower on the front - all beautifully, strategically placed. On the back is another bold black #12, a fabric sunflower, and an angel. He went so above and beyond, and Madelyn just loved it!!! She was so excited - hugging and saying that Daddy is the best Daddy in the world! And he is...

Although now this little camp project went from a quick trip and a $3 white t - shirt, to an extravaganza and another $25 at Michaels... But to see the smile on her face was so worth it. I'm so proud of her Daddy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Super Dad indeed. I am so proud of him. I can just see him working on it. LOL

jenwillie said...

That was really cute! Way to go Dad! Super Hero saves the day!!!!

Kim said...

What a great daddy! If I were there, I'd make him a tres leches for his great gesture of love for his little girl!