Friday, July 4, 2008

just another day

It's early. Really early. It's 6:00 in the morning - Happy 4th of July! We're already outside of Dallas, and headed to Houston. What was I thinking when I decided to get up early instead of driving last night?! But we're all excited to get away for a long weekend. I was packing some games last night to take with us, and I got a certain energy that I can't quite explain. I was reminded of being a kid and my family going to Hilltop lakes where my parents owned a small amount of property that gave us access to the "resort" there. It was (or I guess still is) very much a "Dirty Dancing" kind of resort... swimming, the lake, bingo, social mixers, etc. But my best memories are of everyone sitting around the table playing games. There was always lots of laughter - the only time I ever remember my father smiling or laughing (a little). Lene and Michael would meet us from Dallas, us from Houston (Hilltop is about halfway between), and that was our summer vacation. A couple of times my Uncle Ronnie brought his boat. There is a great picture somewhere of Mom, Lene, and I in coordinated black and neon yellow swimsuits. While I was in college, in a futile attempt at a relationship with Allan's father, we went back to Hilltop for a weekend. It was so different. I prefer to remember the way it was when I was a kid. Anyway - I'm excited about playing some games and hanging out with the family!

Well, the sun's coming up, and Madelyn has fallen back asleep - thank goodness. I was worried when she got in the car and started talking like crazy! It will be a long day if she doesn't get some more sleep. She is so cute all bundled under her blanket, still in her princess pajamas. This morning she brought some little nick nack things in the car, and said she was bringing some things to entertain Mia - she is such a good big cousin!

We got more letters from the girls, and now Madelyn got her very own from Dani. She was thrilled. The girls have done a great job of writing this year. We've gotten mail at least a few times a week. We just love hearing from them and how much fun they're having at camp. I wonder what cool 4th of July stuff they'll do at GFC - hmmm. They come home on Tuesday - woohooo!!

I think we're getting close to the Starbucks exit - thank goodness. I don't know how much longer I can wait.

I've been keeping up with Lindsey on her blog. Sounds like she is all settled in Moscow - well as settled as she can be for now. I'm so amazed by her - her ability to try new things and adventures. She's so brave!

Yesterday I went to Victoria's Secret for their semiannual sale. It's my time to stock up on panties while they are cheap. Well, what is cheap really? I managed to spend $160 on $2.99 panties. As April texted me back when I told her - holy %$@$ that's like 50 pairs. Well, 49 to be exact. Lindsey - do they have Victoria's Secret in Russia?

Well, we are in Ennis - Starbucks here I come. Have a happy, safe 4th to everyone!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

49 PAIRS of PANTIES!!! You have truly lost your mind.

Unknown said...

LOVE the pictures. You will have to show me how you did that.

Lindsey in MOSCOW. Wow.

Leenie said...

OK Rag Rah, were is your favorite aunt and uncle on the pictures?????