Thursday, October 2, 2008

SECURITY

A word with so many meanings. And especially these days, it’s not so much about feeling a sense of security, but a lack of. I try to follow all of the things going on in the market and with our economy, but to be honest, I just can’t. First of all, I find it very difficult to understand. And quite frankly, I’m just not willing to put in the time and effort to understand it all. And second, I just can’t chose to follow it all. I could make myself crazy trying to analyze, and get completely frustrated with it all, but what good would it really do. As my mom’s favorite saying goes – it is what it is. So I figure no sense in getting too caught up in it all.

So, dictionary.com gives the following definitions (remember when we used to reference good ole, heavy, hard cover Websters!):

1. freedom from danger, risk, etc.; safety.
2. freedom from care, anxiety, or doubt; well-founded confidence.
3. something that secures or makes safe; protection; defense.
4. freedom from financial cares or from want:
5. precautions taken to guard against crime, attack, sabotage, espionage, etc
6. a department or organization responsible for protection or safety
7. protection or precautions taken against escape; custody
8. an assurance; guarantee.
9. Law. a. something given or deposited as surety for the fulfillment of a promise or an obligation, the payment of a debt, etc.
b. one who becomes surety for another.
10. an evidence of debt or of property, as a bond or a certificate of stock.

So instead of focusing on the lack of security we are all feeling from the current economic situation, I’ll focus on a different kind of security.I have a strong sense of security in my family. There is a tremendous, unexplainable feeling that comes with the security of unconditional love. The kind of love a parent has for a child, or a husband or wife for their spouse. There is a great sense of security that comes with being a part of people’s lives, through thick and thin, and knowing that you will always be there for them, and them for you. There is a strong sense of security in loyalty, commitment, and love – all things that I am so grateful to have being surrounded by amazing family and friends.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Especially seeing how you have a really fabulous MOTHER!!! LOL

ILYMTYLMx2

Grammy Gourley said...

AND a fabulous mother-in-law! LOL2