Monday, November 10, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Last week was a very special occasion... on Thursday Trey and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary. Wow - I can't believe it's been 3 years already. Time really does fly by. We celebrated in our usual fashion. Good Food and Good Company. We went for a really nice dinner (and it was DELICIOUS!!) and spent our time just talking and enjoying each other's company.

It amazes me how much has happened in 3 years, and how the place we are at in our lives is just how I pictured and also not at the same time. We've been through a great deal together and more and more, I am so grateful to have such a supportive, wonderful, loving husband. To think, this time 3 years ago I never would have foreseen the past year of medical saga I've gone through. And although I NEVER would have doubted Trey would be there every step of the way, I don't think I ever imagined the way in which he'd be there for me. He seems to find just the right balance of creating dependence and independence. I know I can lean on him and he'll be there, and I know he'll do anything for me. But at the same time, I can be my own person and find my own strength too.

There are so many things I love about Trey... One of the things that is best about him is how diverse it is. I realize that may sound really silly, but bear with me. The thing about Trey is that he stays interesting. I think this is because he is an expert at covering all sides.

I love the way he takes on projects with such zest and eagerness. And yet it's also what wears me out since I have to hear every detail of every project even though most of what he is saying makes no sense and has no meaning for me.

I love his complete meticulousness. (I know this needs no elaboration since you know Trey too!) He is the only other person in this world who keeps a closet the way I do. He measures everything to the exact right spot, and when he does something it is to perfection. Sometimes this means it takes longer than I'd like, but he always gets it done right! I love the way everything has a place with him. I just wish that the place wasn't sitting on the floor in the middle of the room or on the counter out in the open! But marriage is about compromise, right?!

And I even love the way he teases me (though sometimes I wish he'd move on!!).

I love the way he regards "my" family as his own (as I do "his" is mine!). I love the wonderful father he is to Madelyn. I love the amount of respect he has for those who earn it. He doesn't give his respect easily, but once he does, you know it is meaningful.

And Trey can make me laugh like no one else can. Sometime I'm laughing because he's funny, and sometimes I'm laughing at him because he thinks he's funny. But regardless, we laugh. And that is so important.

So 3 years later, I'm reminded how lucky I am. I'm married to the person that is as perfect for me as can be. He understands me, and tolerates me, and loves me unconditionally. And what more could I ask for?!