Sunday, November 16, 2008

Happy (almost) Birthday to ME

Let me tell you why I have such an amazing husband.

This weekend, while Trey was doing what he does best, I did what I do best.... For those of you who know us, you probably already know what those two things are. For Trey, it means a few trips to Home Depot and building something. For me, it means shopping.

So while Trey was working extremely hard on a project building new stairs for a client, making some extra money for our family, I was out spending it! Now I have to say that I think “spending” tends to come in waves. At least it does for me. I can go a very good while not really spending leisure money. Of course, there’s always groceries and necessities, but I’m talking about the extras. That being said, I also have to point out that when I shop for things like clothes, shoes, etc., I can get quite a bit for half the cost of one of Trey’s leisure spends. (He’ll be the first to admit that he tends to go for the big ticket items – it’s just in his nature – he doesn’t know how to do things small!) Well, I have to admit that lately my shopping has been a bit of a too regular habit. In my defense (and much to my pleasure), a great deal of it has been more of necessity and not so much want. As I’ve been working towards losing the weight that I gained in the last year, I’ve found a need for new clothes. And luckily, there have been some great deals to be had out there. But just as Trey knows only big ticket items, I seem to only know big quantity. And so back to my point that, at least for me, spending and shopping seems to go in waves and I’ve been on a pretty big wave this last month.

So all weekend, Trey was working. And today, among errands, April and I found our way to the mall. We’ve both been “needing” (and by needing I mean wanting) a good new handbag. Well of course, we found just what we were looking for. After much debating (and I am talking MUCH debating), we both decided to make the purchase. Immediately (before we were even out of the parking lot), we were discussing, debating, and deciding. Not with much luck either. As soon as one of would talk the other or ourself into taking it back, we’d starting talking the other or ourself into keeping it. We both went back and forth at least 6 times. Once we got home, we put all of our stuff in our new bags and looked at them again… still can’t decide. So I’ve now decided to talk to Trey about it and see what he thinks, but by the time he calls that he’s on his way home (all done with his job!), I’ve pretty much decided that I need to take it back. So Trey is telling me about his project, and the money he made, and I said – Good, because I was bad! He warily asks me what I mean by bad. I told him about the handbag, and that I shouldn’t have spent the money and I think I’m going to take it back. And his response – Happy Birthday Baby – you’re keeping the handbag!

So to my wonderful husband, who knows me so well, thank you… For your heart of gold, your unconditional love, and for letting me pick out my own birthday present (even though we both know I’d already gotten my birthday present)!!

No comments: